25 May 2020
How to download SAP GUI from SAP?
by Vasiliy Kharitonov
If you need to install SAP GUI on a new machine, you can download it directly
from SAP. You need 2 prerequisites to be able to do it:
- You should have an SAP user (it is used to access most of SAP resources).
- You should have enough authorizations to perform downloads with your SAP user
SAP user is provided to you by a company that is either SAP customer or SAP
partner (or SAP itself). You could register a similar personal account (P-user)
yourself, but I don’t think it can be used to download SAP GUI. If you don’t
have SAP user, you should be able to ask your company’s SAP account
administrator to create you one.
For the second prerequisite your usually need to ask IT department of your
employer to provide sufficient access for your SAP user. In this case you
should use the same SAP user that was provided by your employer.
To download the latest SAP GUI, you should perform the following actions:
- Navigate to Software center on SAP ONE Support
- SAP ONE Launchpad will ask you to login with your SAP user.
- Navigate to folder By Category, then SAP Frontend Components.
- Select one of the following GUI clients:
- SAP GUI for Windows. Choose this one if you are using Windows. Generally
speaking the Windows client is better.
- SAP GUI for Java. Choose this one if you are using macOS or Linux.
- In case you use Windows you need to download CORE package and then Support
packages and Patches.
- To start downloading CORE press the item name. You don’t have to use
download basket and Download Manager software.
- After downloading CORE press Support Packages and Patches button on
the top right.
- Press the name of the patch with the latest Release date (or Patch Level)
to download it.
- In case of client for Java you can go directly to Support Packages and
Patches and download the latest
.JAR file – there is no need to download
- All the files downloaded are just installers, you need first to run the
install to have SAP GUI software on your system.